You can’t beet this heavenly, heart healthy dip…hummus with beets. It’s pretty purple color and sweet undertone set this apart from the basic hummus, yet it is subtle enough that even the beet-haters will like it.
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Additional Time10 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 beet
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 - 15 ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- feta cheese, for garnish
- toasted dukkah, for garnish
- Place a small saucepan filled with water on stove and bring to a boil. Add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (this prevents the beets from bleeding).
- Add beet to boiling water and cook for 20-40 minutes (depending on size of beets). You will know the beets are done because they can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Remove beets and immediately shock in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Once cooled, peel off the skin and cut into large chop.
- Drain chickpeas and reserve the liquid (aquafaba).
- Combine beets, chickpeas, lemon juice + zest, sea salt, black pepper, garlic and tahini in food processor.
- Turn on processor and slowly drizzle in olive oil as it is mixing.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. If it is too thick, add the reserved aquafaba 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Garnish with feta and sukkah.
Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Serving Size:.25 cups
Amount Per Serving: