Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time1 hour
Total Time1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 3 quarts
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed & split lengthwise
- 4 T unsalted butter, (1/2 stick)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 C chicken broth
- 2 potatoes, yukon gold or russet, peeled & chopped
- 2 C corn kernels
- 3 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded & chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 T fresh chives or parsley, chopped
- 2 T fresh tarragon, chopped, for garnish
- 1 package chicken sausage, sliced
Soak the leeks in a bowl filled with cold water for 10 minutes. Rinse & drain. Slice into 1/4 inch rounds and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir about 15 minutes, until softened. Add the leeks and celery and cook and stir about 10 minutes longer, until the leeks have softened. Add the garlic and cook and stir about 2 minutes more.
Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add 1 cup of the corn, the roasted red peppers, salt, black pepper & thyme. Simmer 15 minutes. Add the chives/parlsey.
Remove about 4 cups of the mixture and puree until smooth. Add back into soup pot.
Stir in remaining corn and chicken sausage.
Garnish with chopped chives or tarragon.