My Favorite Birthday Carrot Cake
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Additional Time45 minutes
Total Time2 hours
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Coconut Oil (melt into liquid and cool to room temp first)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (separated into 1 tsp each for cake & frosting)
- 2 cups AP (all-purpose) Flour
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 pound Carrots, peeled & grated
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/2 lb Unsalted Butter, at room temp
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two 9" round cake pans with parchment paper.
Beat the sugar, oil & eggs together until light yellow. Add 1 tsp vanilla.
In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda & salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
In a separate bowl toss the carrots, raisins & pecans in 1 T flour. Add this to the batter.
Pour half of the batter into each cake pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cakes cool. For the frosting: mix the cream cheese, butter, 1 tsp vanilla & powdered sugar until smooth.
Remove cakes from parchment paper. Frost one cake, then lay the second cake on top and frost both cakes.