Sicilian Style Roasted Eggplant
Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables and it can easily be served as a vegetarian main dish. This is simple dish has 5 ingredients and can be prepared in less than an hour (or in minutes if you roast the eggplant in advance).
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 medium sized eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 C cherry tomato halves
- fresh mozzarella, two balls about the size of a tennis ball
- 1 C marinara sauce [See Basic Tomato Sauce recipe]
- fresh basil chiffon [sliced thinly] for garnish
- olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and score with a knife making an "X." Do not cut through skin of eggplant.
Brush eggplant flesh with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet skin side down and roast about 40 minutes. Eggplant should be golden brown and flesh should be soft.
Top with fresh mozzarella and place in oven for a few minutes to melt.
Top with warm marinara sauce, chopped cherry tomatoes and basil.
Eat as a main dish or served as a side.