Zucchini & Greens Tart
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 - 14 ounce package Dufour frozen all-butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 4 C chopped fresh kale, swiss chard & rainbow chard combined, stalks removed
- 1/2 C sliced scallions or white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T chopped or torn mint leaves
- 2 T chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 T chopped or torn lemon basil
- 1/4 C pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 C feta crumbles
- 1/2 C freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 1/3 C ricotta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small zucchini shaved into about 12 thin pieces
- 6 zucchini flowers, cut lengthwise if large
- 6 pieces of string cheese, torn into about 4 strips each
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat a small dutch oven on stovetop and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil to cover bottom of pan. Saute kale, swiss chard, rainbow chard, scallion, garlic, mint, parsley, and lemon basil. Lightly season with a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 15 minutes until kale is wilted. Remove from heat.
Combine feta, pecorino, ricotta, 2 tablespoons pine nuts (reserve other 2 T for topping) and lemon zest. Season lightly with a pinch of salt & pepper.
Mix kale mixture and cheese mixtures together.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lay dough out flat atop paper.
Cover dough with kale filling, leaving about 1 1/2" border all the way around. Top with zucchini shavings and flowers. Fold over edges of dough like a pie.
Top with string cheese in a criss cross pattern.
Bake in 425 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining pine nuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Short Cut: Prep ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days prior to baking.
Think Out of the Ice Box: Try using spinach in lieu of or with any combination of the greens in recipe.