Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This is a delicious, guilt & gluten free version of zucchini bread sweetened with cacao powder. It’s perfect with a cup of cold brew on a summer morning or for a little dessert after a meal.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time1 hour 16 minutes
Total Time1 hour 36 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf or a dozen + muffins, depending on the size
- 1 very ripe, smashed banana (2 ounces)
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (10 ounces)
- 8 ounces ground almonds/almond flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 ounce ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons whole flaxseed, for sprinkling
Preheat oven the 325 degrees F. Double line a 9 X 5 inch loaf tin with parchment paper (let it hang over pan so that it's easy to remove bread after baking).
Combine smashed banana and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Mix together.
Add shredded zucchini, ground almonds, ground flaxseed, cacao powder and dark chocolate chips, and thoroughly mix together.