Peruvian Chicken + Rice Soup
Oh baby it’s cold outside, and nothing warms the soul like Chicken Soup. This is a healthy twist on Peruvian chicken and rice soup a.k.a. Aguadito de Gallo. It’s quick, clean, comfort food.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Total Time1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 bone in, skin on chicken breast
- olive oil for drizzling
- a few pinches sea salt
- a few grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups cilantro leaves + extra for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 6 limes juiced or 2/3 cup lime juice + extra for serving
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh, shelled peas (Trader Joe's refrigerator section)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- tortilla chips for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly rub each chicken breast with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken on a baking sheet, skin side up, in oven for 45 minutes. Internal temp of chicken should read 265 degrees F.
In a high powered blender/Vitamix make aromatic blend by combining onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice + water. Blend until smooth.
With a box cheese grater, grate cauliflower to make cauliflower rice.
Once chicken has cooled, remove meat from bones (discard bones & skin) and shred into pieces.
Combine aromatic blend, cauliflower, shredded chicken, fresh peas, and chicken stock together in a pot over low heat. Adjust seasoning. Serve warm with a lime wedge, cilantro garnish and tortilla chips.