This protein power bowl is perfect with September’s tomatoes. Quinoa Tabbouleh’s contrasting colors, bright flavors and varying textures make it a wonderful side dish for a dinner party … and the leftovers are perfect for a salad-in-a-jar lunch the next day. You can beef it up by adding some leftover chicken, steak or fish to the salad.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Additional Time5 minutes
Total Time30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- ½ tsp sea salt + 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 scallion, thinly chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced & zested
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 scallions, chopped
Bring quinoa, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/4 C water to a boil in a medium sauce pan over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover & simmer, until quinoa is tender (about 10 minutes).
Remove from heat & let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork.
Whisk lemon juice + zest, olive oil, garlic & scallions in a bowl.
Season with salt & pepper.
Combine quinoa, cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs (parsley & mint) and scallions in a large bowl.
Drizzle dressing over and stir all ingredients together.
Short Cut: Make this ahead of time and refrigerate. The flavors are enhanced after sitting for a day.