Fireside Brisket Chili
Thanks to my dear friend, I was introduced to this modified version of Ina Garten’s Brisket Chili on night as we cozied up around her firepit for dinner.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time5 minutes
Total Time15 minutes
- 5 pounds beef brisket, cut in 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- Pat the brisket cubes dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a very large heavy casserole and quickly brown the meat in batches on all sides. Transfer the brisket to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the same oil over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until limp, but not brown.
- Add the chili powder, pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and cumin and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers, bay leaf, tomatoes with their juice, the reserved meat, 1.5 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 5 hours (or 3 hours 1st day + 2.5 the second day), stirring occasionally.
- Add the coffee, cover the pot and simmer for one more hour.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (salt and pepper to taste)
- Add the kidney beans and and warm through.
- In separate bowls, serve garnishes of cilantro, scallions, sour cream and chili oil.
Serve with guacamole and tortilla chips.
Adapted from Ina Garten's Brisket Chili.