New Year’s Day Stew
After a “don’t let the door kick you in the a$$” goodbye to 2021, let’s sit back, relax and enjoy a hearty bowl of Wagyu Beef Barley and Mushroom Stew to welcome 2022.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time2 hours 5 minutes
- grapeseed oil
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 - 1 lb Wagyu stew meat, cut in to small pieces
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, small dice
- 4 carrots, small diced
- 1 fennel bulb, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (about 1 large sprig)
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes with juices
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1 tsp sherry
- handful parsley leaves & stems, finely chopped
- optional: orange zest & slices for garnish
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat dutch oven, add 2 T grapeseed oil and once oil is hot add mushrooms. Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each) and saute about 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pat beef dry and season with steak seasoning (1-2 tsp). Add to hot dutch oven pan and brown on all sides about about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 T grapeseed oil to hot pan and add leeks, celery, carrots, fennel, garlic and rosemary. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Saute, stirring every few minutes, for about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes with juices, beef stock, bay leaves and whole thyme sprigs. Return browned beef to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a separate pot and add barley. Simmer for 1/2 hour, uncovered, and set aside.
- After soup has simmered an hour, add barley, mushrooms, and peas. Continue to simmer another 15-20 minutes.
- Add sherry and chopped parsley. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Optional: serve with orange zest & slices for garnish and to brighten flavor.